20 déc. 2008

NEIL GAIMAN : "ANANSI BOYS"


Do you know Neil Gaiman, the author of "Neverwhere" ? He is an astonishing author of astonishnig books. "Neverwhere" takes place in "London Below", a fantastic subterranean London where the tube stations open on another reality. The heroe, Richard Mayhew, is a Scot young man who goes to London to work in the City as a financial trader. Everything goes fine for him until he encounters an injured young girl named "Door" who spout of a wall just in front of him. Despite his fiancée's protests, he decides to help her but that means that he suddenly ceases to exist for regular people in "London above" and becomes real only to the denizens of 'London Below'. He loses his house, his job, his fiancée, and nearly his mind as he travels through London Below'labyrinth in an attempt to make sense out of it all, find a way back, and helps Door survive as she is hunted down by hired assassins.

I'm just finishing to read another book of the same author which title is "Anansi boys". It doesn't take place in London but in America. But it is an astounding book too. I can't resist to quote an excerpt from chapter one :

"It begins, as most things begin, with a song.
In the beginning, after all, were the words and they came with a tune. That was how the world was made, how the void was divided, how the lands and the stars and the dreams and the little gods and the animals, how they came in the world.
They were sung".
You must read Neil Gaiman !

2 commentaires:

Maryse a dit…

Hello Dreamcatcher.
That is one of the best point in Blogs : it's a space where we can receive a lot from everyone. Just we have to be ready and open-minded.

Some next day, I'll talk about my own favourite books and films.

Now, just I'm wondering : where do you find and buy the English books you read ?
Do you order them from abroad ?

Roland COMTE a dit…

Excuse-me ! I did'nt answer to your question about where I buy my english books. I discovered Neil Gaiman and "Neverwhere" during my last trip to London with the college in 2008. It was at Harrod's bookseller. For the others, I order them to Amazon. It is very safe and fast.